1. Function: Responsible for control of the left side of the body, and is the more artistic and creative side of the brain
1. Function: Responsible for control of the right side of the body, and is the more academic and logical side of the brain
If you would split the brain right down the middle into two symmetrical, or equal parts, you would have a right and left hemisphere. Although equal in size, these two sides are not the same, and do not carry out the same functions.
The left side of the brain is responsible for controlling the right side of the body. It also performs tasks that have to do with logic, such as in science and mathematics. On the other hand, the right hemisphere coordinates the left side of the body, and performs tasks that have do with creativity and the arts. Both hemispheres are connected by the corpus callosum and serve the body in different ways.
See if you can tell what hemisphere is being used in each task!
- Drawing a picture of an imaginary castle
- Doing your math homework
- Daydreaming when you should be studying!
- Talking to a friend
- Listening to a parent or teacher
Answers: 1. Right, 2. Left, 3. Right, 4. Left, 5. Left